Saturday, August 11, 2007

naming baby


So I was leaving the gym yesterday, picking Sophie up from the gymcare, and I was asking the girl who works there about her little boy. She told me his name was Sam. I mentioned that Sam is my brother's name and that I think it is a really cute name. She then rolled her eyes and said, "I know, but it wasn't popular, that's why we chose it and now everyone is using it." I hate to be rude but Puh-lease! I think this attitude is becoming a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I don't care who you are unless you name your kid some crazy made up name like Jkue (I just typed random letters), it wasn't your idea and I hate to break it to you if the name becomes popular, it wasn't because of you, unless you're TomKat or Brange. When we named our oldest Isabella, it wasn't really that common, but now it is. I would like to pride myself in thinking that I started the trend, but in reality my choice was just the beginning of a trend. I guess I should just be a little more tolerant and not let stuff like this bug me, but it does. Can't we just consider ourselves clever for being at the beginning of a trend instead on thinking we started it?

9 comments:

Roney Family said...

I totally agree with you. I just name my kids the name's I like. Not because it's a trend or an unusual name. I could care less what other people name there kids and why. Just own up to the name you picked as one you liked! I mean, I grew up with the name Patience, that sure sucked. Not very many people had that one.

lramey said...

d-i-t-t-o!!!! You're my favorite!And since half the people I tell about Sawyer are just nice and say, "oh...that's cute. How'd you come up with that?"...I am for sure on board with owning the name- popular or not- that you've named your kid!!!!Don't you name them something cuz you like it? DUH

Abi said...

I love you. You make me laugh. The name things can be lame. For me its the worst thing about having a baby!

Sammy Pow said...

You should have asked that chick how she came up with Sam? That is super original, the nerve of people ripping off Sam! I think Sam is about the least original name I've ever heard. Nothing wrong with it, it's a helluva name, just not unique...

Alifinale said...

People are so funny about things like that. I can understand not wanting your kid to have the same name as everyone else - but I hate when people freak out that someone else named their kid the same as your kid. And I hate when people try to get REALLY creative with the naming. They are just setting the kid up for a miserable life of spelling their name for people.

Roney Family said...

On the subject of names, do you have any names picked out if you decide to have another? Not trying to get personal. I wonder if I have a problem. Reagan and I always sit and think of names! I am not making an announcement! Just curious

King Family said...

Thank you all for the validation. I was thinking there was something wrong with me. About having more kids?....I don't know I'm not really ready right now. Seth only wants a boy and I will wait until he doesn't care if it is a girl. As for the names...Seth is still stewing that we named Carson "Carson" and not "Thor" so he says I have no say for the next child. Here are a list of his names:
Xaviar Ray (so we can call him X-Ray)
Thor (of course)
Zeke
He likes to sample names like this, "Now batting...(add name) King".
I have a couple girl names I like but that always changes.

Roney Family said...

Love the names Seth. I am all abotu THOR. You should do that with the next. I know what you mean about thinking about having another one. And talk about a boy. I really want another boy. if we had another girl, we would die with the hormone levels! Good luck with that.

Amy Morris said...

I agree completely- If my own sister used any of the names that I named my children, I would consider it a compliment. So if anyone out there wants to use Avery or Boston Jack, go right ahead!