Friday, December 07, 2007

birthday tribute


This has been a long time coming. This post has been in my mind from the beginning but it has been a difficult one to transfer to my keyboard. Today is one of my dearest friend's birthday. The fact that she is one of my dearest friends is the reason this post is happening so late. When she passed away 2 1/2 years ago there was such an outpouring of love-things written and things said that I felt lost in the background, in the ensemble if you will, but I should have done this sooner. So- on her birthday this year I will remember what she always told me, "there are no small parts, just small actors" and give my tribute to her. I remember my first experience meeting the infamous "Sydney Riggs". I was in the horribly awkward junior high years searching for my destiny. It seemed kismet that the Scera Shell would be producing the show, "Meet Me in St. Louis" with a part just for me! I dragged my sister to the OHS lunchroom and sang my heart out. We were both so happy to be called back. I felt like I did really well but to my disappointment I wasn't cast, she REJECTED me. Even worse my sister was cast. I remember going to the rehearsals with Tatum and watching Syd at work (in black sweats, btw, in JULY!). She was so patient with Tatum and made her feel so good about herself. I knew that I would work with her again and committed myself to being cast the next time we met. I didn't see Syd again until High School. I signed up for the optional B5 class of Musical Theater. Alan Sackett and I became instant friends and it was very convenient because he was/is and amazing accompanist. Alan and I would go to the piano during free time and sing our hearts out until she noticed. I will never forget her walking up to me while singing, "The Sun in the Morning" and telling me I had gotten a lot better from the last time she saw me. She was so lovely when it came to compliments. She didn't just hand them out all the time, even if you deserved it. They were well calculated from a teaching perspective to give the you the will to continue and the confidence to suceed. I don't know if she did this on purpose, but as she would say, it was brilliant! High School had its ups and downs but all of the ups for me happened in theater. My "drama" experience for lack of better words was magical. So many great friends, so many amazing memories and opportunities....Syd made everything important. We weren't just high school students to her, we were her friends. She saved me. All of my close "hang out" friends were a year older than me and when they graduated I felt completely alone. Syd sensed this and had me sign up to be her TA right before lunch time. I remember that first scary day of school my Senior year when I thought I might have to eat alone. The bell rang and she turned to me and asked where I wanted to go for lunch. She didn't have to say anything to make it all better. This gift of being my friend when I felt alone was the greatest she gave me. It wasn't a lead, or being her "favorite" in high school as some might say, it was her innate awareness of what I needed. She not only sheltered me from the storm but found others to be my friends and for that I am grateful beyond measure. A lot of people in high school might call me a drama cheerleader. I would make up really lame, but cool, cheers for drama and we would all do them. Syd was my life cheerleader. Everything I did she was completely supportive and happy for me. I remember that she loved Seth. I think the german won her over, but it meant a lot to me. She also was so sweet and kind about my kids. I would take them to her classroom and she would give them treats and let them color all over. She would put their pictures on her desk and she was proud of them. I loved that. My favorite memory though was when we were in "Fiddler on the Roof", I played Hodel and she played my mom, Golde. (No Nate, its not the laughing memory, even though I won't forget coming back stage and her saying, "What the hell was that?) There is a sequence where Tevye, the father, is "singing" about his family. It sounds cheesy but it began with Golde (Syd) and the three daughters holding hands and and going around in a circle. Syd would look at us, her daughters, so thoughtfully and her face so loving and reflective. When she looked at me though, she wasn't acting and I will never forget it.
The last time I talked to her was the day after I got home from Europe. She as always was so sweet to talk about ME the whole time and gush about my trip. When we were in London we saw Billy Elliott on her recommendation and couldn't wait to talk about the show. I also had some gifts for her and we arranged for Seth and I to come over that next Sunday night. She died on Saturday.
Happy Birthday Syd.
I love you.
Angie Boyle King (cause that's what you called me:)
ps thx to Heather for the pic

8 comments:

martha corinna said...

This was such a beautiful tribute Angie. It's wonderful that she shaped you in such a way.
I didn't know her, but Nate obviously thought the world of her as well.

Hailey said...

So touching, Angie. She truly was a remarkable lady. I wish I had had more time to get to know her better. I am grateful, at least, that we all got to have such a blast together working on "Lucky Stiff!"

Melissa said...

very very sweet.

The Cullimore's said...

Angie,

I got choked up reading your blog about Syd. I have so many fond memories of her too. I love your perspective. I love the experiences that we had the chance to share with her during high school. She truly was ALWAYS aware of others needs and was more aware of her surroundings than anyone I ever knew. I miss her and am thankful you wrote such a touching tribute to her!!!

Thanks

Derek

Abi said...

That was quite a tribute--It is amazing how much teachers can change us and make us better people. That is such a sweet tribute--so sad that she dies before you could go and giver her the gifts!

Nathan said...

Angie!

Thanks for writing this. I still haven't got the point where I can really talk about my feelings and gratitude for Syd. I'm not sure why that it is... I wasn't there for her passing and the funeral and I've always regretted that.

At any rate, I am really grateful that you wrote this and that I just found this and was reminded how much of my life and what I am doing is because of the love Syd shared not just with me, but with everyone!

Thanks Angie!

Laura said...

Angie-
I found your blog through Heather's and I love it! It is nice to be able to keep up with old friends and stuff. What a nice tribute. Syd and I didn't click the way the two of you did, so it was really nice to hear a different perpective about her. It will help me remember her in a different, better light. Thanks for sharing your sweet words and memories!
-Laura (Crandall) Ellis

Unknown said...

Ang, just read this...yeah, almost three months late...I have a book coming out at the end of this month that I dedicated to Syd, too...I've been thinking about her a lot the last couple of days, since she is now a real grandma...and woulda been one for my son, too!