Thursday, November 02, 2006

Halloween Drugs


So we enjoyed a great Halloween the other day but now my kids are acting like drug addicts. All they can think about is candy!!! I always thought my mom lacked so much holiday spirit because she hated Halloween but now I know why!! Even little Sophie freaks out when she sees the bright orange trick-or-treat bucket. We have to hide the candy and they use all these tricky tactics to get us to tell them where the buckets are. I just took away a sucker from Sophie and she is laying on the ground screaming as if I took away her life force. Carson went to a Halloween party last weekend and the next day at church we look over and he is going to town eating all this candy he stuffed in his pockets. Isabella and her friends have to get their stashes when they play with each other....I am at the point where I just want to surrender the candy and make them eat it until the vomit. That is good parenting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good parenting indeed! Do it!

Sammy Pow said...

My parents would try to let us only have 3 pieces a day. That didn't work too well. However, I agree that letting them eat until they get sick could be pretty effective.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was eight my parents told me that if I didn't stop enhaling the Hickory Farms Christmas gift basket I would get sick. Despite their urgings I continued downing small samples of processed sausages and cheeses, every once in a while mixing in a hard candy. They eventually stopped asking me to slow down (I know this makes me sound like the ultimate fat kid) and let me eat enough that I actually did throw it up. Since then I have not eaten a single item from Hickory Farms, and I avoid their mall kiosk at all costs during Christmas time.

I don't think my parents necessarily wanted me to vomit half-digested meat and cheese all over the back seat of our beige station wagon/ But it was the ultimate deterrent from ever gorging myself on cruddy food again. I see the merit in "allowing" your kids to learn a lesson like that. I would do it myself if I knew that it would help me avoid the temptress that is refined sugar.... damn you candy, damn you to hell.

King Family said...

Awww....Seth you commented.....

Marc said...

Yeah... parental rationing of Halloween candy was an ill-conceived idea from conception.