Monday, November 24, 2008

talkin' sports

(proof that i attend athletic events.)

i grew up in the uc and i am proud of the mormon culture that i was raised in. i think a lot of people get embarrassed that they are from utah but i think it is great. i love utah, jello salad, family reunions, byu, all that goes with being raised mormon. i have the tysmen rap memorized..."d.d.d.detmer...no drugs alcohol or even caffeine they say it so straight, do you have any fun, yeah, we beat a number one team on television...oh hungowa byu's got ty power!" not ashamed at all. i think it is funny when people say they will never live in utah again. i like to classify those people with the people who say they will never drive a mini van. give it up already...you are in your thirities, getting fat, have lots of kids...you are no longer cool. you are never going to take your ride with carseats to your high school parking lot. i started thinking about all of this the weekend of the big football game. anyone that knows me should know that sports aren't really my thing. on a side note- i kind of feel bad that someone so athletic married me. i remember in the beginning of our marriage trying to play catch together. seth would tell me to "stop pretending" but sadly i was giving it my all. (thank goodness we have kids that can catch and hit a ball). as the big utah/byu game approached i enjoyed listening to all the "smack" talk. i don't participate (i couldn't name a single player on either team, max hall?) but i LOVE to listen. i think it is funny to hear the arguing and emotion that goes on with this "big" game. during our brief stint living out of state i realized that almost every mormon was a huge Y fan. they would drive all night to the games and order special cable channels. i recently recalled this as i realized that there are so many U fans from the great county of utah. i kind of think it is a "rebellion" thing for we utah county kids. i remember telling my parents in heated argument as a teenager that i wanted to go to the U. it was a real kicker for my cougar blue posting father. i'm not saying there aren't some true U fans from the uc but lets face it a lot of them are just trying to piss off their parents, right? i guess the same goes for salt lake county residents. they are mostly ute fans and it is kind of interesting when someone from "up north" likes the cougs. they must have had big time zoobie parents.


so there you have it "talkin' sports with angie. the cougs lost right?

10 comments:

Treidi said...

boo ya. first comment and that is all I have to say.

ps- No angie. the cougs won and Max Hall played the game of his life. He threw 8 TD passes, had 463yards passing, and no turnovers. Literally the game of his life.

Nathan said...

Angie

Listen. I want to be able to live in Utah again... I do love the State--there is so so so much good about it, but...yeah...ummm....Not here, right? =)

Also, I am probably not the type of person you are referring to when you talk about being in my mid 30's, fat, having kids and finally needin' to drive that mini-van, huh?

I am glad you're talking sports, though. I never did get into the BYU/UofU thing, but I went to a Jazz game...once...

Glad you posted again. Was wonderin' when you would! =)

Unknown said...

you nailed me, i grew up in ut county, went to the U, moved out of state and ....(you left this out) vote for democrats. i am a middle child and perhaps this is a desperate attempt for my own identity :)

i didn't know it would involve being chased out of star valley though.

meg said...

Okay--I'm in my thirties, got fat a long time ago, on the 3rd kid, but still can't give in to the mini-van thing. Sorry. And I'm loving that you like smack talk. I do too, until it gets me into trouble.

mags said...

i paid strict attention to all things athletic in my single years merely to impress boys. it totally worked!

mini vans rule

some things i miss about utah
-hot summer days, cool summer nights
-people with those half red half blue shirts on
-swearin'

remember that day grandpa took us into the stadium? it was just you, tris and i and grandpa, in his favorite place. i felt like some kind of football princess. sports is in the blood.

Amy Morris said...

Ang-
There really are exceptions to the rule when you are talking about the people who don't ever want to move back to Utah.
*I am a proud minivan driver (never thought I would be and I would never give it up at this stage in my life)
*I love telling people I am from Utah.
*And I love that I grew up there...
I just love diversity and different cultures that I don't see in Utah :)

I love your posts... they make me smile.

Jared and Niki said...

Seriously, what is with BYU fans? It's like you aren't a good Mormon unless you are a BYU fan. I don't get it. Just because my tithing pays a portion of the school's budget doesn't mean I have to like their team or their school. I do think Mormons think they get a pass for being angry and passionate about something without commiting a sin, because they are cheering for "the Lord's University."

Abi said...

you crack me up! I enjoyed your sports rant. I love utah--but I didn't grow up in the UC but the SC. I think in some ways its a bit different (did you know SLC voted for Obama! I am all about funeral potatoes and all of the other Utah mormon stuff. XOXOX

mags said...

considering the name of tatums beau, i was wondering if abby is dating a seth angiemiester?

Eleyna Julia said...

You are freakin' hilarious and I'm proud to call you my old babysitter! Amen to it all!