Tuesday, August 19, 2008

i am cliche.


cliche (from French, pronounced [klɪ'ʃe]) is a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel. The term is most likely to be used in a negative context.

i have realized lately that i am cliche. this is something i have never wanted to be but i have realized that i can't help it, it is who i am. i am generic and there is nothing i can do about it! am i upset? no. surprised? kind of. do i feel bad when i read cathy cartoons and relate? yes. do i feel bad when i laugh at the cathy cartoons? no, just embarrassed. i notice it the most when i fill out a "tag" or "getting to know you" form. i know you are trying to defend me thinking, i can't be friends with someone so bland, but its true. my name is angela king and i am just like everyone in the world. here goes:
1. i like chocolate (just like "the cath")
2. i like shopping
3. i like chic flicks
4. i like edward
5. i have a blog
6. i want my house to look like pottery barn
7. i want to be skinny
8. i hate working out
9. my hobbies include going to movies...and?
10. i have been watching the Olympics non stop
11. i wish i could shop exclusively at anthro.
12. i shop exclusively at target.
the list goes on and on. what can i do to change it? nothing. why would i feel bad that i am just like everybody else? everybody else is awesome. so i WILL eat chocolate, i WILL have a blog, i WILL shop at target and i WILL be cliche. i don't think there is anything "negative" about it. it just means i have good taste, right?

13 comments:

Cyndi said...

Amen, sista.

hknight said...

pretty sure that everytingh on that list applies to me as well, so I'm with you!

hknight said...

For reals, I can spell "everthing"! I promise!

hknight said...

EVERYTHING! Okay I'll stop now!

Giron Family said...

First of all, thank you for putting the definition of "cliche" on your blog. I use that word all the time and never really knew exactly what it meant. Why do I always think of Nick Lachey when I hear it???
Yes, you do have good taste. I guess I'm saying that because I'm cliche too.

Katie said...

too funny. your posts crack me up! i guess i'm pretty cliche too!

jenn said...

seriously. amen.

tris said...

you can't be that funny and be cliche...not possible

mags said...

i agree with trisdan. ps why is poop so funny? poop.

laughed for 10 minutes when i read that.

i am copying you by refusing to capitalize. it is very liberating.

JAGBHansen said...

I needed this today! Thank you so very much!

April

PS~ I found you somehow, I found you. I added you, I hope you don't mind. :)

Melissa said...

I love your posts, they make my day!

Treidi said...

i think this is your first man comment.

congratulations.

here it goes...

-you forgot to add your cliche desire to get freakishly tan and make your husband look like an albino

-the cliche awareness demonstrated in your post in fact makes you un-cliche. To be truly cliche you have to not know it.

-I would also add that your cliche perceptions are based on your trendy Daybreak environment. Here in Payson most people think "anthro" is some form of deer virus and Pottery Barn is literally a rundown barn in Genola that sells pots.

You have however bridged the culture gap on edward (blah.)

heidi said...

Great post. You are so funny! Seriously.

OK, now I am officially cliche. But really, a great post. The Cathy cartoon puts it over the top.