Saturday, May 03, 2008
i am the new miss manners
after an email i received the other day i realized that it is time to talk about "email manners". what is that you ask? why am i the one with the authority? just go to the harmon's on bangerter and 114th. harmon's sponsors our school and bella's second grade class made a big poster and each of the children wrote what their mom's are good at. bella wrote that i am "good at going on the computer". nice. mom of the year award goes to me. so here goes "email manners".
1. never write an email in capital letters. ie-IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING!!! EVEN THOUGH IT MAY SEEM EASIER TO JUST PRESS THE CAP LOCKS BUTTON IT READS LIKE YELLING. DON'T YOU SEE? DON'T.
2. keep your emails informal. when emails are formal it reads really stiff and funny. i have received emails from people and they say things like this-"Hello everyone. We want everyone to know that we are moving. Please pass the word along". instead it should have a casual voice. avoid words and phrases like, "Attention", "Sincerely yours"....
3. don't forward things for the sake of forwarding. pick and choose your forwards. think about what they may say about you. do you really want people to know you are voting for the senator from arizona? do you want people to think you believe in magic? it really says more about you than you think.
4. pictures. remember that not everyone has the fastest computer on the block. slow down the pictures and the sizes of the pictures, make sure they are rotated. (on a side note, make sure when you send "post birth" pictures via email or text that all things are covered you don't want to be known as the nippler in your ward or among friends :)
5. an email brightens everyone's day even if you haven't talked to that particular friend in awhile. emails are like presents, especially to this computer mom.
ps go see baby mama....funny, funny, funny. our friends saw the movie and said that i remind them of amy poehler..as long as that is not based on the white trash character she plays in the movie that is a compliment. now with me looking like amy, tatum (my sister) looking like Rachel Dratch, my dad looking like chevy chase, we are a regular snl family.