Friday, January 18, 2008

Good Things

I thought it would be fun to post my latest recommendations. I know this is usually front page news, my opinions are so important :) Here goes.
BOOKS


A Thousand Splendid Suns
I was a little skeptical at first thinking that Khaled Hosseini (don't worry I copy/pasted his name, I'm no Marc Bohn) couldn't possibly pull off another "Kite Runner", but he did and it is such a good read. Like its predecessor it is an emotional roller coaster but the end leaves you at peace. I was completely consumed by it and read it really fast. (A day and most of a night-special thanks to Grandma Boyle and Lynda for letting me read as my kids went crazy at their houses.)

MOVIES


Stardust
So I know it has been out for awhile but we just barely saw it, reluctantly I might add, and throughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of the movie "Willow" from back in the day but a little "lighter". It is pretty scary for kids (some guts and gore, mostly "silly" though). Loved Claire Danes she is fab in the movie.



JUNO
Let me jump on the bandwagon and submit my love for this movie. Everyone is amazing. What starts out as a comedy ends as a truly poignant important little movie. (We saw this with my parents and it made it kind of uncomfortable but Annette and Doug actually ended up liking it.) "You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events."


JEANS



True Religions are my religion
It is almost time to retire my "knock off" True Religions and I think I may just go and buy another pair. Jeans have become ridiculously overpriced but sometimes its worth it. Heidi?

BLOGS
This isn't really a recommendation but THANK YOU THANK YOU Niki, Maggie, and Trisdan for having family blogs. We can finally keep in touch.

12 comments:

mags said...

Ang,
I love to read your blog, the boyle humor shines through the keyboard. I heard you were in Monticello this week. someday we can all powwow there with the kids and let 'em go crazy with millie and katie to watch!

mags said...

ps I have been dying to get my hands on "a thousand splendid suns," I still need to read kiterunner, so little time.

Abi said...

So, was the juno movie crude--or just akward because she was a teenage girl pregnant? I haven't seen it yet. I loved that book and movie. I am lame and don't own any True Religion Jeans--Where are the knock offs! Jk. I started reading the book stardust and it was 1000 times better than the movie--but a little racy so I ended up not finishing it--but really want to!

tris said...

I am glad you liked stardust...I actually asked for it for Christmas and Kenyon gave me that, "aren't you a little old for that stuff" kind of look. I loved it though...huge fan of all things Claire Daines. I even watched it with Emmy, she is the perfect age not to catch all the inuendos.

King Family said...

Mags-
Let's do it....it would be such a blast. Gma has "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and Lynda has my copy of "Kite Runner" so have your mom get them and send them to you...you will find time, just don't sleep at night, its åmazing what you can do. :)

Abi-
I would have to say Juno is a solid PG-13. It is crude, yes.....I can get you some knock offs its all the rage here in happy valley. That makes me want excited to read the Stardust book 1000X better, eh? I might have to pick that up.

Tris-
I also enjoy that my kids "don't get it" yet...We watched at Bill's the other weekend and when the scene came with Claire Daines (who I also love) in bed and Tristan is gone Lynda says, "Katie and Hannah, that is why you don't sleep with someone before you are married." Classic.

Nathan said...

ok Angie, I'll try everything "good" in your blog, except maybe the jeans...do they have true religion in my size?

martha corinna said...

I love this post. So fun.
I have to admit, those jeans are tempting. Do you think a pregnant 35 year old could pull them off?

Anonymous said...

wow, I feel so lucky to have made your blog. I am excited to keep in better touch! I think I would only love those jeans if I had a butt like that to go with them! I really want to see juno, too. thanks for the recommendations.

Marc said...

No Marc Bohn? Do I have a reputation for spelling that I'm unaware of?

King Family said...

Do I have to "spell" (no pun intended) it out for you that people think you are smart? That is what I was trying to say. Also, didn't you meet him or something?

King Family said...

Do I have to "spell" (no pun intended) it out for you that people think you are smart? That is what I was trying to say. Also, didn't you meet him or something?

Marc said...

Could you repeat that for me? ;)

I think you exaggerate... but I'll take the compliments where I can get them though. Did met Khaled... and am actually pretty impressed that you remembered that.