Sunday, September 28, 2008

angie is wondering if she should still be on facebook



(should i make this my profile pic? i think abby and i look hot. and that's the point of the profile picture, right?)
my name is angie king and i joined facebook 6 months ago. is it weird that i am kind of embarrassed about that? is "facebook" just a euphemism of "myspace"? when people ask me about facebook i say that it is the classy version of myspace, at least it makes me feel better inside. i say i joined because i wanted to stalk my brother and sisters. sam was dating some girl at the time and my mom wanted to spy on them by reading their "walls". a wall (for you non-facebookers) is on your home page and people write witty comments to you. it kind is obnoxious sometimes as it reminds of when people talk really loud on their cell phones in public places so you know how funny/cool their life is....for example: "I haven't seen you since High School? How's life? My husband is a Lawyer now and we just bought our first home, took our kids to Disneyland, and after went straight to Hawaii, we are busy!" the wall seems either braggy or just tons of inside jokes between people BUT like graffiti on a "wall" it is amazingly fun to read what people say to each other. seth joined soon after me and a competition to see who has the most friends began. i would like to announce that i am winning! i have 10 more friends than seth. take that husband! i am more popular than you! facebook proves it! the feature that most confuses me is the "poke" feature. you can "poke" any of your friends. what the hell does that mean? i don't know about you guys but i saw the musical les miserables when i was 12 and that word is used and i had a long and uncomfortable talk with my parents about it. let's hope the young kids now days don't know the "les mis" meaning. overall facebook has been a fun experience. i have reconnected with lots of high school friends and get to see how they are doing on a daily basis...on everyone's profile it will say "Angie______" and you fill in the blank with something like, "Angie is so happy she finished 3 loads of laundry!" that might not be the coolest thing to say but its just an example. I love it when people say, "Jane is really needing to loose 10 pounds!" then "jane" gets lots of notes on her wall telling her how skinny she is. it is a great thing to do if you need to boost your self-esteem. my favorite facebook moment however though was receiving a personal message (not on my wall) from a friend i hadn't talked to in awhile telling me she didn't want to be my friend anymore because i am not very supportive. i wrote her an apology and haven't heard back...does that mean she isn't my friend anymore? should i take her off my friend list? i am still on hers...oh what to do? facebook drama begins. angie is thinking she didn't sign up for this.

ps the synder family (travis) wrote a great post about profile pictures about a year ago...i would link to it but lack the skills.
pps is my new name to cheesy?

18 comments:

The Cullimore's said...

Angie, I can totally relate. I am not sure of facebook. I kind of got this sick feeling as I joined just barely and am already thinking of bailing due to some bad experiences. How funny...sometimes these new advances in connecting ARE NOT worth it!

LOL!

DC

Roney Family said...

I love facebook, but that is because I can get in touch with people I havent heard of in forever. It's not private, but I love it. It's just nice to send someone a little ditty..

Haguewood Family said...

I too just joined facebook and accidently sent out an invitation to all these random people on my email list who now think I want to be friends. Including Ty's coworkers. It was really awkward. We should be friends...

Natalie Hill said...

you are killing me softly.

stay on facebook, you wanker.

and tell her to suck it.


namaste *

Treidi said...

1. thanks for the shout out. not sure how to link either?

2. why do you keep changing the blog title? I get confused easily.

3. heidi joined facebook last week and I think it is lame, Lame, LAME.

4. So the answer is facebook is definitely cliche and super senior. You (and mr. king) should be off of it.

5. Can you elaborate further on the "poke" comments. I don't understand what you mean...

heidi said...

So, like Trav said, i just joined facebook and I regret it. My favorite facebook moment is seeing one of my "friends" (I'll call her Hester) post pictures of her and her boyfriend (instead of her husband). Icky. Also, I was weirded out by the whole "poke" thing, but my source is not nearly as cultured as Les Miserables. Have you ever heard the song "Too Close" by NEXT? Dirty.

I'll be sending my friend request to you real soon...

Amy Morris said...

Angie- You crack me up, I always love how you put things. the whole poke thing has always weirded me out. I don't get facebook. I don't think I ever will.

We are in Orlando :)

lramey said...

facebook=myspace for the a-dults for sure- i'm fully with you there, on everything actually.

personall, I want to talk more about your Waiting for Guffman line on your "title" thingy.....HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! that's one of my favorite movies ever!!!! "I'll always have a place at the D.Q.....just drive up...get a coke...."

and the title's cute

and the pic's way hot! (i hate that word) but really, it's super.d.duper cute! course it is....you sexy tramp!

lramey said...

oh, and remember on that other good movie Best of Show, and all the poking going on there?

naughty lil facebook

who's my future?

JAGBHansen said...

Facebook is so much fun! I think that you should stay on, you never know who you will run into :)

Denise said...

I only joined because Suzette told me to check it out. I really have no clue how to add applications or anything. I might opt out also. You bring up some great points. I'll have to think on it....

mags said...

love the new title, and yes you and abby should use the same pict, as for facebook, monticello is it's own little facebook, i'm just a phonecall away from knowing exactly what anyone is up too.

Cade said...

I could say I joined facebook for the same reason as you - to keep tabs on Sam's life. To my dismay it is still just as ambiguous.

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

I'm pretty sure your "friend" snubbed you, and you really only have 9 more friends than Seth. We are not facebook people over here -I think because the blog provides enough of a "window" into our lives for my taste and I'd like to stay more on the DL. And I'm afraid the word "poke" still has that same meaning... at least it does around our house :)

Nathan said...

HA HA HA!
Facebook is a lot classier than MySpace... it just is...
what i hate is that application where people vote on your best and worst qualities and then you get updates? Huh?
apparently I'm not very trustworthy, lazy and would make an incredible nuclear physicist!!
....yeah....

Katie said...

you are my bff.

Katie said...

oh, and I like the new blog name. it fits your dimpled family well.

tris said...

facebook shmacebook...not a fan, but I love the picture it really does need to be posted somewhere. See you this weekend?